Thursday, August 7, 2014

Ascension - Stage 10

This release is a couple days late, despite being a relatively short stage. That's only because I was out of town and away from the computer for four days this past week. Although this is technically the last stage in Hell, I'm going to add a final stage in Purgatory - I probably said more than enough about that in the post for my last release. So this isn't the end, yet. But we're getting real close!

The final challenge in Hell is basically a determination of whether your soul is pure enough for Ascension. I've considered making the outcome dependent on actions you take during the game, but ultimately - and especially if you're not sure which decisions contribute to the purity of your soul - it might be a little too frustrating to make it to the end of the game only to be told, "you lose".

On the other hand, I want to reward players for not taking it too easy on themselves, and so this will, in fact, be the end of the game if you're playing on Easy Mode. To access the final level (and escape Hell), you'll have to defeat the game on Normal or Hard Mode. Otherwise, you just haven't suffered enough. :-p

For that reason, you can access (for the first time in this game!) the credits in this release, if you're playing on Easy Mode. They may not be in their final form yet, and I'm planning something extra in the form of a fun "cast" list a la Doom 2, but it's a pretty exciting start, I think.

14/08/07: Ascension - Stage 10 (5.86 MB) [edit: new release available, check sidebar for info]

No comments:

Post a Comment