Thursday, February 20, 2020

Ascension (MV) Alpha 6.0 [Sodom & Gomorrah]

Back within a week for another update and release! I am now forging ahead into territory I never made it to, two years ago when I started adapting Ascension from VX Ace to MV. Which is to say, I've completely recovered from my computer crash that corrupted my project files. So that's good news.

With this release I am featuring the adaptation of Chapter 8 - Sodom & Gomorrah. This is a fun level, that really adds a lot of color to the world I've constructed in this game. Another change I've made to the game with this release is that I've added a "story completion" percentage that will display on the continue/map screen. This will give you a general feel of how much of the story you've experienced as you work your way through the game, with the idea that when you reach a sufficient percentage, an extra scene will be unlocked during the ending credits.

I plan to provide a brief explanation within the readme file when the final game is released, but the percentage mainly keys on chapter introductions and Archfiend autobiographies - stuff that fleshes out the story, but that you're given the option to skip to facilitate faster (and less tedious) playthroughs. You only have to read them once, and the percentage will be saved even after you close the game.

That's the reward for completing the story - there will be another reward for dominating the arcade challenges in the game, which is the bonus level and secret ending, but that's for another day. In the meantime, have fun seeking companionship from the denizens of Hell, as you explore the streets of Sodom & Gomorrah!

Ascension (MV) Alpha 6.0 (including all stages up to Chapter 8 - Sodom & Gomorrah)
Download (~230 MB): Windows | Mac [see sidebar for latest release]

Note: One thing that has been frustrating me endlessly is the way that this map is taking unusually long to load the first time. I've concluded that it's the Preload Manager plugin that's causing the lag, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this particular map should be significantly slower than any other in this game so far. I can't figure it out, so you're just going to have to live with it, for now at least. It's only a cosmetic issue, anyway - a matter of a few extra seconds loading the map. I think it's annoying, but it doesn't actually change the way the level plays. [Update]

No comments:

Post a Comment