Friday, September 5, 2014

Progress Report

I have to apologize. I really wanted to get the next release out before this weekend (I'm going away, and won't be able to work on the game for several days), but it's just not going to happen. So you'll have to be a little bit more patient. Everything is pretty much finished (although I still need to go through the game and make sure everything works and there are no last minute tweaks), except the Labyrinth stage which I am still working on.

I swear, this stage is turning out to be the bane of this project. It's not to a point where I just want to give up yet - I think there is potential here for a really great stage. But there are just so many options, and wrapping my head around these mazes (to a sufficient degree of mastery as to predict how the player will experience them), while also trying to design unique challenges to disorient the player and ramp up the difficulty of solving the maze, while introducing a certain level of randomness...it boggles the mind. And every time I think I've got a good maze design to work on, I have to spend several hours building it in the map editor - so far only to ultimately decide that it's not good enough. :-\

(maze analysis)

It's pretty frustrating. But I'm still plugging away at it. Give me another week, and I'll see what I can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment